Wednesday, December 24, 2014

All About the Letter E - Letter of the Week Activities

Songs and Poems


Do your Ears Hang Low
Do your ears hang low?
Do they wobble to and fro?
Can you tie them in a knot?
Can you tie them in a bow?
Can you throw them o'er your shoulder
Like a Continental Soldier?
Do your ears hang low?



Alphabet Poem: Letter E
by Edward Lear

E was once a little eel,
Eely,
Weely
Peely
Eely
Twirly, Tweedy
Little Eel!



I Love Eggs

Tune: Frere Jacques

I love eggs
I love eggs
Yum, yum, yum
In my tum
Scrambled, boiled or fried
Any way I've tried
Yum, yum, yum


Center Ideas

Easel Painting: Clip a large sheet of paper to the easel and encourage children to paint the letter Ee. To differentiate learning, use a yellow highlighter and write the upper and lowercase letter E's on the paper. Then the students can trace the letter E's using paint.

Literacy Center: Print one half of a plastic egg with the uppercase letter E and the second half with the lowercase letter e. Encourage the students to match the uppercase letter E to the lowercase letter e.

Print an uppercase letter E on an envelope and a lowercase letter e on a second envelope. Then use the image below for letter matching. Download the file, print on card stock, cut apart and laminate for durability.

DOWNLOAD FREEBIE >>  Envelope Letter E Matching Cards

Activities

Letter Hunt: Go on a Letter Ee hunt around your home. Encourage your child to see how many objects he can find with names beginning with the /e/ sound like in egg and the /e/ sound like in Easter. Support your child’s writing process by encouraging him/her to write the word on an index card. Then have him/her tape it to the object.

Odd Sound Out: Say three words, two beginning with the /e/ sound like in egg and one sound that is different. Have the student repeat which sound does not belong.

egg, elephant, doughnut
electrical cord, apple, dishes
dog, elbow, exit
enter, exciting, bear

Clap the Syllables: Have your child say and clap the syllables in the following words:
  • eagle (2)
  • exciting (3)
  • excellent (3)
  • exit (2)
  • enter (2)
  • egg (1)
  • elephant (3)
  • electrical (4)
  • easel (2)
  • eleven (2)
  • elbow (2)
Variation: Use pipe cleaners and beads. Have your child string a bead onto the pipe cleaner for each syllable.

Letter Ee Search: Help Emily Elephant find her easel. Follow the path of upper and lowercase letter E's to help Emily Elephant reach her easel.

FREEBIE

DOWNLOAD FREEBIE >> Letter E Emily Elephant 


/e/ Listening Game: Read the following sentences. Have the students repeat the words that begin with the /e/ sound like in egg.
  • Emily Elephant likes to eat peanuts.
  • Edward is missing his egg.
  • Plug the electrical cord into the outlet.
  • Please use the exit.
  • Enter the second door on the right.
  • I hit my elbow on the table.

Fill in the Missing Word:  All of your guesses should begin with the /e/ sound like in eagle.
  • I fly in the sky. I am our nation’s symbol. I have black and white feathers. I am an ________. (eagle)
  • The number that comes after ten and before twelve is ________. (eleven)
  •  When I make a mistake writing with my pencil I can erase with my _______. (eraser)
  • When painting I use an __________ to hang my paper on. It also has a place for my paint cups. (easel)

Circle and Find: Have students practice reading environmental print. Use newspapers, junk mail, and/or sales flyers and have them highlight all of the letter Ee’s using a highlighter.



Credits: www.MyCuteGraphics.com

No comments:

Post a Comment